Construction Projects - 2022 Season
Improvement 19-12 - North Brainerd Reconstruction Project
The City is reconstructing multiple streets in North Brainerd beginning in mid-May, 2022. The street reconstructions will take place on:
- N 3rd Street - Washington Street to Holly Street
- N 6th Street - Washington Street to Juniper Street
- N 7th Street - Kingwood Street to Holly Street
- Juniper Street - N 2nd Street to N 10th Street
- Improved safety to motorists and pedestrians utilizing the corridor.
- New street surface.
- New curb and gutter.
- Upgraded and upsized storm sewer to help mitigate localized flooding issues.
- New watermain and watermain connections to replace old, deteriorated pipe.
- Median island constructed on N 6th Street between Kingwood and Juniper Street
- Pedestrian curb bump outs located on intersections near Gregory Park where high pedestrian traffic is anticipated.
- Tree replacements (1:1 replacement of existing trees that need removal due to construction conflicts or areas in the boulevard that are bare)
Construction is planned to begin sometime mid-May and be completed sometime near the beginning of October.
Traffic and Access
Local street closures are anticipated at times during construction. Access to properties near the project will be maintained throughout the project duration. There will be times where properties may be inaccessible due to construction. Project representatives will be communicating these closures with affected residents or businesses.
Improvement 21-10 - Greenwood Street Reconstruction
The City is planning for the construction of Greenwood Street from Woodland Hills Lane to S 6th Street (Highway 371B) in the 2022 construction season along with the Minnesota Department of Transportation construction project on S 6th Street.
- Blacktop surfacing and aggregate shouldering on the existing gravel road.
- A re-alignment of Greenwood Street at S 6th Street (Highway 371B) to come in perpendicular to the highway for sight line visibility.
Construction is planned to begin sometime in June and be finished sometime in August.
Traffic and Access
Access may be limited at times while grading operations are taking place. Temporary closures may occur. Street access may be local access only at times.
East River Road Improvements (along with Mississippi Landing Trailhead Park)
- The City will be reconstructing a small portion of East River Road across from the High School Football Field as part of the construction at the Mississippi Landing Trailhead project.
- Diagonal parking near the park.
- Pedestrian curb bump outs at street crossings
S 6th Street Reconstruction (MnDOT Project) - Joseph Street to Greenwood Street
MnDOT is reconstructing S 6th Street from Joseph Street to Greenwood Street in 2022. For more information about this project, visit MnDOT's project website here:
Improvement 19-02 - Cuyuna Lakes State Trail Connection
The City will be constructing a portion of the connection of the future Cuyuna Lakes State Trail from 28th Street SE to the beginning of the Buffalo Hills Trail near the intersection of Norwood Street and S 11th Street.
The City was awarded $1,100,000 for construction of this segment from the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources.
The construction segment in 2022 will be from the eastern edge of the NP Center property to the connection at the Buffalo Hills Trail.
The City has a $2,000,000 bonding request in to the State Legislature to construct the rest of the connection from the eastern edge of the NP Center property to 28th Street across the large wetland complex north of Oak Street.
S 5th Street Reconfiguration - Oak Street to Quince Street
As part of the ISD 181 referendum plans, the City has been working with the school district on the reconfiguration of S 5th Street between Oak Street and Quince Street. This construction will commence and be completed in the 2022 construction season, along with other school district project on adjacent properties near the High School.
- Median placed from Oak Street to Quince Street.
- Mill and overlay of existing surfacing.
- Lane reconfigurations to assist with traffic flow in front of the School and adjacent parking areas.
Traffic and Access
Access will be limited on the street from May to June. The roadway is anticipated to be closed from June to August to perform the construction work. Signed detour routes will be available for through traffic.
2022 Street Maintenance Projects
Improvement 22-01 Seal Coat - Select Streets
- College Drive - CSAH 48 to Quince Street
- 4th Street South - College Drive to S 6th Street (Highway 371B)
- 10th Street SE - Willow Street to 850 feet south of Brook Street
- Brook Street - 8th Street South to 13th Street SE
- 10th Avenue NE - Washington Street (Highway 210) to J Street NE
- H Street - Mill Avenue (CSAH 3) to 13th Avenue NE
- Seals street surface with a layers of oil and rock
- Restores street aesthetic
Improvement 22-02 Crack Sealing - Select Streets
- Seals street cracks to reduce water intrusion into street
Improvement 22-03 Street Patching - Select Streets
- Large patches in streets with localized areas of potholing and cracking when the street is not identified for resurfacing or reconstruction in the City 5-Year Street Capital Improvement Plan
Improvement 22-04 Street Striping - Select Streets
- The City works with Crow Wing County to hire a contractor to re-stripe all the streets in Brainerd with fresh paint every two years. Street Department staff re-paint all crosswalks yearly.